What Is Team Coaching?
People are messy and complex, and organisations are no different. Team coaching helps the team to make sense of this “messiness”, to find a path through it and deliver even greater value to the organisation and its stakeholders. A highly effective process supporting the team to understand:
Why are we here together?
- Understanding what the organisation and stakeholders need from the team to succeed.
- Being clear on what the unique purpose and contribution of the team is.
How can we work together to be greater than the sum of our parts?
- Collectively make sense of the vision, strategic goals and values and how they impact each person in the team, bringing greater cohesion and collaboration.
- Building trust and team resilience.
- Rallying the team into action and creating the desired impact.
How do we partner outside of the team to have even greater impact?
- Deeply understand the landscape within which they operate, understanding what is happening below the “surface” to find new thinking and ways of working with it.
- How does the team communicate with stakeholders.
How can the team navigate the everchanging landscape and future?
- Maximising the team’s impact now and learn how to deal with future challenges and change.
- Building a skillset to enable the team to effectively coach itself on an ongoing basis.
What it is not:
- A piece of consultancy, where the consultant, or in this case the coach makes recommendations. It is a shared responsibility to get to the desired outcome.
- A one-off intervention like team building. The process happens over time, typically 3-6 months.
What the team will experience through the process is:
- Feedback from their stakeholders, through 121 interviews and TC360 survey to gather wider input.
- Being coached together to explore their world, challenge their thinking, and make sustainable changes.
- Individual coaching check ins to support each person to deliver the team needs.
There are four principles which underpin the work:
- We work in partnership to look at the team’s “map” of their world with fresh eyes.
- We commit to have the conversations that are needed to move the team forward.
- We co-create the process and solutions together based on the new insights we generate.
- The coaching is designed to create independence; allowing the team to make a sustainable change and deal with future challenges.